Friday, April 15, 2011

Tornado Alley?

WOW! Today was definitely a day to remember.
  Living in OKC for the past few years before I moved here to AL, I thought I had seen some bad tornado's. Hell summer before last more than one row of apartments were shredded in the same complex I lived in. I of course slept through this none the wiser :O
 Today was one for the books.  I did not really watch the news b/c it seems we get tornado warnings here alot so when my b/f called saying it was going to get bad today I really did not stress over it. That was until he got home and turned on the news! Man this tornado cloud today was SO BIG! I could not believe what I was seeing on tv. I was like is THAT coming here? My b/f is like No its going to the north of us. I was like Ok that's OK. I do not know the surrounding area here very well at all but suddenly the weather guy was mentioning the few county's i do know including my own. I got really nervous! The sky was getting darker by  the minute! I ran outside to check the clouds they were moving SO fast! I went inside and the weather man was saying that they had confirmed touchdown! The tornado was on the ground. omgomgomgomg I go change into sturdier clothes, and start hunting flashlights even though it is like 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Right before the power goes out the last thing I hear the weather man talking about is that we now have TWO tornado's on the ground One JUST north of us the other JUST south. Now I thought could they merge RIGHT OVER ME and form a super tornado? Of course my man is like no way that will happen.

Now we live in a mobile home, it is a nice new mobile home on some land. BUT it is still a mobile home, which in cases of tornado's is one of the worse places to be. Now I have my own issues with trailers having grew up in not so nice ones. And I think to myself no way, No way am I going to die in this trailer! All of a sudden it starts to hail like really big loud hail, you cnt even see outside! I'm running around getting dressed, putting breakfast bars in my pocket, my b/f is like what are you doing?  "I will not die in this trailer!! If it keeps getting worse I am going to tie myself to a tree and have faith my adrenalin will see me thru! I just have to figure out how to save the cats to." He looks at me like I have lost my mind! Like "you cant be serious? It's much safer in here." NO WAY I say! No WAY! This thing will split in half will be nothing to hold onto! Atleast in the woods we have a shot. (There is a large amount of woods behind where we live.)  This goes back and forth for a few minutes I finally decide to all my bff and ask him, Well he is traveling today and did not answer the phone on the 4th try I finally left this message. "Matt If you were in a life and death situation (which I AM) and you had killer tornado's on either side of you (Which I DO) Would you A. Stay in a mobile home or B. Take your chances hugging a tree? Call me back asap You never know you could save a life today.
 Now my man looks at me and says that is a pretty messed up message to leave your friend to which i reply only if i die today and i will not die today. When Matt did call me back after all this was over he sided with my man, something about debris and such. But i tell you I  really think the woods woulda been better! My bff Matt also points out that this Tornado must be looking for me and since it could not find me in OK it decided to bring it's ass to AL. I told him that was funny b/c I remember when the news man said there was one above and below us I thought to myself thats right Mr. Tornado go around me b/c you do NOT want to mess with me!!  :)

   Finally the hail stops, the rain slows, and I think Great we made it! Now the power has been off this whole time, and Just when it was starting to calm down we get a phone call from his dad telling us there is another one headed right for us, that there will be a lull then another is coming but will be quicker passing. All I can think about is how many times I have seen on tv after something like this happens, How the homes look like collages made my little children, stuff thrown every where, and very few survivors.  We go outside during the lull, everything is so green and the smell in the air is crisp. I start looking around for a tree! I didn't even have any rope just a garden hose! Luckily the next storm was not as bad as the first and was over very quickly. I tell you had I felt that trailer shift to much I woulda ran outside and grabbed a tree maybe i REALLY AM crazy! I dont know! LOL What would you have done??

  Finally the power came back on and things returned to normal, it is still very windy tonight and I look forward to seeing what the moon is going to look like.
SO that was my day! How was yours? What would you have done? Am I truly crazy for wanting to chance it with the trees? LMAO!

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling, I am also IN tornado alley here in illinois. Central illinois. I ran down stairs yelled at my husband we need to run for cover lol. He was like it will be okay. I was like blah blah blah. Tornados are everywhere tonight with this storm.

    ReplyDelete